The ultimate goal of any online business is to get more traffic, make new customers and earn more conversions.
This makes SEO tactics a very important tool to ensure the success of your online store. With millions of online traders in the digital market today, the competition is always extremely stiff and the tradition SEO no longer works.
For this reason, you need modern ecommerce SEO tactics to remain ahead of your competitors. With the consistent search engine algorithm and rules updates, ecommerce SEO has never been easy. It calls for hard work, research and analysis of many market factors.
Fortunately, evolution in technology has designed high-tech tools that will help you develop and implement SEO campaigns for your ecommerce website.
For instance with the best Serp rank tracker you can monitor and analyze your site ranking performance and optimize the website to gain more qualified audience and enhance user experience.
The question is always; ‘where do I start?’ This guide will help you through your ecommerce SEO journey irrespective of your SEO needs or expertise. It is ideal for:
- A newbie starting small online store owner trying to increase publicity and sales.
- A growth digital marketer aiming to increase traffic.
- A SEO expert or agency aiming to ROI of the SEO campaign for a large company or several clients.
What is E-commerce?
E-commerce (Electronic Commerce) refers to promotion, buying and selling of goods and services over the internet.
It relies on various tools and technologies like computer applications, solutions, servers, software and platforms through an e-commerce website. It involves marketing, advertising, sales/purchase, delivery, billing and payments via the internet.
Unlike back in the 1990s when ecommerce was known for the selected few giants like eBay and Amazon, today it has become an attractive investment opportunity for many people.
In 2017 alone, ecommerce sales were approximated in excess of $430 billion and the industry is expected to grow even further as smaller, medium and large and individuals are investing more in the online market every new day.
The evolution of mobile technology and increased access to the internet globally has highly contributed to the growth of ecommerce. Today, most consumers prefer to search for products and services, compare prices, purchase and make payments than going to local stores. This could be due to lower prices, unlimited variety to choose from and the convenience it offers.
Being a promising opportunity, ecommerce has therefore attracted high competition with every brand trying to promote their products and to gain top search position in their respective fields.
The success behind any ecommerce business is not built on the type of products it offers or the quality of its design, but on how it attracts relevant traffic.
Despite SEO providing the highest ROI of any ecommerce marketing efforts, most ecommerce owners over rely on social media networks and paid Ads to promote their brands and products, which are also good but very expensive unlike the SEO strategy.
SEO helps to rank on top in search engines like google, Technoven Provide SEO service which help you for on-page & off page seo.
The Basics and Importance of E-commerce SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the collective techniques of optimizing your website for a particular search query to attain a top ranking in the search results. This simply means getting the best possible results for your targeted keywords.
Optimizing an ecommerce site is different from optimizing any other website or blog. It requires an extra effort to get your website to stand out in search engine results.
Most marketers approach Ecommerce SEO the wrong way while a good number the SEO campaign completely. If you belong to the two sets; you are missing sales and losing money. Here is the why:
- It Gives Your Business Exposure To Search Engines – Search engines respond to millions queries from various searchers every day with majority of these coming from people looking to buy products or services online. Approximately over 70% of online consumers start their shopping experience from search engines. Most searchers never go to page 2 of the SERPs and over 80% of the users trust organic search results. The right ecommerce SEO will allow you to expose your business to searchers giving you a good chunk of organic search traffic.
- It Enhances User Experience – Ecommerce SEO involves building a user-friendly website where customers find it easier and faster to get what they want. Users can also navigate using either desktops or mobile devices. This also earns you a higher ranking particularly with Google.
- Increases Conversion – You website will gain more targeted traffic which leads to a high conversion rate
The Best Approach to E-commerce SEO
Ecommerce SEO involves all the tasks of generic SEO but with a few additions. It mainly comprise of the following tactics:
- Keyword Research/ Targeting – Keyword selection is the initial step of any SEO strategy as it informs all other SEO procedures. Use available tools to generate a list of long-tail, mid-tail and heading term keywords to optimize different products, product pages and categories. The secret here is to use your brand, products and industry related terms to create keywords that have significant search volume, unused by your competitors, will convert customers and earn you a quick ranking.
- On-Page SEO – This involves optimization of the various web pages and sections such as Home Page SEO to make it welcoming and informative to users as well as highly converting. Optimizing the category page enhances quick navigation. Also optimize the product pages, the cart and the checkout sections.
- Technical SEO – This concerns the structure of the ecommerce website. Technical SEO allows search engines to crawl and index your store without any difficulties. This involves optimization of XML sitemap optimization, Google Console Settings, page seeds and robot.txt settings. It also deals with building SEO friendly URL and the correct permalink structure.
- Ecommerce Content Marketing – Creation and sharing of quality and relevant content. This can involve ecommerce site blog, product descriptions and social media activities. Product images and videos with clear ALT tags will be useful. Ensure that your keywords are well placed in the tittles, meta-descriptions and follow the SEO principles of content marketing.
- Link Building – Once your website is fully optimized for ranking, use Off-page SEO techniques to earn clicks from other website. This involves getting mentions from authoritative sites, product reviews, referrals and user comments.
Sharpen your ecommerce SEO skills and drive your online sales to an unimaginable level.